What is meant by Lawful Presence Verification
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia has created a new policy requiring University System Institutions to verify the lawful presence in the United States of all admitted students entering Kennesaw State University in the fall 2011 semester or later.
BOR Policy 4.3.4: “University System institution shall verify the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully admitted person applying for resident tuition status (in-state tuition).
Students will have a registration hold placed on their record until the lawful presence verification requirement is satisfied.
How Can Student Verify Lawful Presence?
- Students who file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and are eligible for federal student aid will have their lawful presence verified as part of the FAFSA process.
- Students admitted on an F, J or M Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- Students admitted on any other Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program.
- Once admitted, all other students may provide one of the following legal documents to the appropriate University Admissions Office -- Office of Undergraduate Admissions,
- Office of Global Admission, or the Office of Graduate Admission to satisfy the lawful
- A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. A photocopy provided by the student is not acceptable.
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. Passport.
- A current Driver’s License/ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. A limited term license/ID or a license/ID issued for a period of less than two years is not acceptable.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current military ID (service member only, not dependent). Documented using the Confirmation of Review of Military ID Worksheet – A photocopy is not acceptable
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551). Present your card to the Transfer and Adult Admission Services office, or contact TAAS@kennesaw.edu or 470-578-3002 for further information.